A new social media website called Nextdoor is changing that. Think of it as a cross between Craigslist, Facebook, a classic Internet forum, and a community bulletin board. It’s geared exclusively to neighborhood needs such as broadcasting community events, posting items for sale (or free), addressing crime/safety concerns, soliciting ideas about how to make our neighborhood better, and more.
Two Nextdoor neighborhoods have already sprung up here in Emerson-Garfield.
Some of the great things Nextdoor enables you to do:
- Get to know your neighbors
- Get local recommendations for a great babysitter, plumber or handyman
- Look out for each other by sharing advice and reporting suspicious activity
- Buy, sell, trade or give away items within your neighborhood
- Get updates on community issues, plan neighborhood events
And if a Nextdoor neighborhood doesn’t exist for your immediate area, feel free to start one. By breaking our larger neighborhood down into smaller, more localized areas, we can help make the whole of Emerson-Garfield even better.